2016 Winter Indoor Triathlon
Information about the 2016 2ndAnnual Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Indoor Triathlon
2nd Annual Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Indoor Triathlon
The Delaware Charity Challenge is a unique fundraising and athletic competition designed to give organizations, families, and individuals a fun way to raise money and awareness for their favorite causes.
The 2nd Annual Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Indoor Triathlon was a great success. Teams combined to raise more than $14,000 ($14,160) was raised for 15 different charities as part of the Winter 2016 Race to Raise fundraising challenge. Many members from these teams competed in the Winter Indoor Run, Row, Bike and Medley Triathlon, which was held Saturday, January 7, 2017 at the Chase Center in Wilmington, Delaware. When adding what teams separately raised in 2015, the Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Games have helped teams collectively raise nearly $30,000 ($29,323) for different nonprofits.
Race to Raise
The winning team in the 2016 Winter Race to Raise was the University of Delaware Men's Crew Team, which as of the fundraising competition's conclusion at 11:59 p.m. on January 6, raised $4,825 on behalf of its University team at University of Delaware. Finishing second was the Clark's Sharks team, which raised $1,525 on behalf of the Mike Clark Legacy Foundation at Delaware Community Foundation. Team Mosaic in Delaware raised the third highest amount of $1,415. Team Linda Tickle finished a close fourth, raising $1,390 for the atTAcK Addiction Foundation. For finishing in the top three in the Winter Race to Raise, the University of Delaware Men's Crew team won an additional $300 for its club team, Clark's Sharks won an additional $200 for Mike Clark Legacy Foundation, and Team Mosaic in Delaware won an additional $100 for Mosaic..
In addition to the $600 in cash prizes awarded by Innovincent as part of the Race to Raise fundraising competition, the University of Delaware Men's Crew team also won an advertising prize from Delaware Today, a Media Sponsor for the event, for being top overall fundraising team, in addition to a prize from Hyatt Place Dewey Beach for raising the most money over the month of December. For raising the most money of all teams over the month of November, Team Linda Tickle won a pair of travel certificates from UNIGLOBE Red Carpet Travel.
When the Fundraising Challenge was completed (January 31, 2017), teams collectively had raised $14,160 for their selected nonprofit organizations, including the prize pool and triathlon awards. The top 8 individual fundraising teams were: Team University of Delaware Men's Crew ($5,875), Clark's Sharks (raising for Mike Clark Legacy Foundation) ($2,075), Mosaic in Delaware ($1,665), Team Linda Tickle (raising for atTAcK Addiction Foundation) ($1,415), Delaware Community Reinvestment Action Council (DCRAC) ($1,065), Miracles for Molly Dunne Foundation ($610), Team Moloy (raising for Special Olympics of Delaware) ($300), and Team Conscious Crusaders (raising for Conscious Connections) ($280).
Winter indoor triathlon & scooter competition
Nearly 150 athletes signed up to compete in this year's Delaware Charity Challenge winter games. The two category triathlon races were the Medley Triathlon and the Run, Row, Bike Triathlon. Both triathlons consisted of a 45 minute race (15 minutes each on a treadmill, spin bike, and rowing machine). For the Medley Triathlon, teams had members compete in one of the three events. For the Run, Row, Bike Triathlon, team members competed in all three. During the event, teams also had a chance to race each other in a short, fun scooter race.
- University of Delaware Men's Crew won a total of $500 in prize money for its crew program by winning the Run, Row, Bike Men's Team Division and the Run, Row, Bike Individual Men's Division, and for winning the Race to Raise fundraising competition.
- Team Clark's Sharks won a total of $500 for Mike Clark Legacy Foundation for having squads win the (1) Medley Co-Ed M, M, F division, (2) Run, Row, Bike Individual Women's Division, and (3) the Scooter Race, and for finishing 2nd in the Race to Raise fundraising competition.
- Team Mosaic in Delaware won a total of $200 for winning the Run, Row, Bike Co-Ed M, M, F division and for finishing 3rd in the Race to Raise fundraising competition.
- Team Delaware Community Reinvestment Action Council (DCRAC) won the Medley Women's Division and $100 for DCRAC.
- Team Conscious Crusaders won $100 for Conscious Connections for winning the Medley Co-Ed F, F, M division.
- Team AMPED Up won $100 for Faithful Friends Animal Society for winning the Run, Row, Bike Women's Team division.
- Team Thunderstrike won $100 for Food Bank of Delaware for winning the Run, Row, Bike Co-Ed F, F, M division.
- Many other teams and individuals also competed in these divisions.